Updated: Mar 17, 2019
(1) Reading allows you to understand what a reader wants — and what your own readers need to be given.
(2) Reading provides strong foundations in the structure of the story and the development of the plot.
(3) Reading gives you a feel for stylistic items like graceful narration, metaphor, transition, voice, and more, and can expand your own ideas.
(4) Reading gives you inspiration and drive to move your own work forward.
(5) Reading is one of the best ways to get ideas!
(6) Reading shows you what’s already been done (ff course, you can always do things in your own way).
(7) Reading allows you to take advantage of lessons that generations of writers have already learned.